Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Useless Agriculture Degrees?!" = Job Security

I know this is a bit past due, but due to a few days out of my room at school, and playing catch up with practices for upcoming contests, I've been preoccupied.


Last Friday, an article by Terence Loose, "College Majors That Are Useless", crossed my Twitter Feed at least 30 times by lunch. At this point, several people were responding and posing such valid questions that of course I caught the bug and decided to perform a little of my own research.

Monday came, and upon getting to school, I printed the article and handed it out to my class of sophomores, and my class of junior and seniors. My sophomores were prefaced with the fact that they would be reading an article to purely discuss in class. When they read the title, a few of them mumbled to themselves about how confused they were I would be giving this to them, and why they would even be considering a career in agriculture. However, the "ah-ha" moment I was waiting for came from my inquisitive, but often quiet student. He raised his hand in response to my question, "Now, we are in an agriculture class, and I've just had you read an article that says of the top 5 useless college degrees, 3 are in the agriculture industry, and number one is agriculture." Confidently he said, "I'm pretty sure this guy has NO idea what he's talking about."

I'm so proud to say that most of my students had positive input when we discussed the article. They all agreed that the degree would, obviously, have use, regardless of what the "National Association of Colleges and Employers' (NACE) 2012 Job Outlook study, which surveyed almost 1,000 employers on their future hiring plans" said. Thank goodness, I have students who've been raised to question authority enough to know whether the information they are being "fed" is accurate or not. My junior and seniors responded with "What in the world is this? Who is this guy? Why would you waste paper to print this?!" Again, thank God someone taught them to question authority. I'm proud to teach in this community. 


However, as someone who one time wanted to be a journalist, I"m offended and embarrassed by Terence Loose and the bad rap that he is giving journalists. As an agriculture communications major, I remember learning that journalists have a code of ethics. The first rule of ethics: "Seek Truth and Report It"...Ironic, Mr. Loose? I cannot believe that this got past anyone else and went public. I'm frustrated beyond end


What I find most frustrating is, that as an agriculture teacher, it is my job to encourage students to consider the agriculture industry as essential to their daily lives- which, it is. With articles like this being published, my kids are asking "Why do people write articles like this, especially if they don't know what they are talking about?" 
(Its times like this that I wish I still had the innocence of my youth and didn't know people chose to be ignorant)
I frankly said, "Honestly, most of the time I wish they didn't. However its writers and people that speak about topics like this that provide me with job security.

See, I know that I'm not going to change the minds of every person in society, making them understand that agriculture is of utmost importance in one's life. And honestly, I don't want to. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. I just hope that I can continue to affect lives of students, to make them more educated consumers and voters, encouraging them to pay attention to the news and how the price of corn can affect the price of gas. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that I love, and have an undying passion for, and am truly thankful for writes like Mr. Loose who will continue to provide me with a purpose. Knowing that was not his intention, I'm irritated that people believe his words, however, I'm lucky because my career depends on people like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment