Monday, January 16, 2012

Something that Matters-"I Was Here"

Today, on my day off, I went to my high school office and worked. I entered grades, created quizzes and worksheets, completed paperwork for our Section 17 IAVAT (Illinois Association of Vocational Agriculture Teachers), etc. I worked for 5 hours with light music playing, and a few phone calls from another agriculture teacher with questions regarding record books and State Degrees.

Despite those phone calls, my communication was by email to my sister and mom, text messaging, and a few tweets. As a female who truly enjoys talking, today seems to be a blessing. My upcoming week's calendar, (let's face the truth a 4-day work week, is often cramming 5 days worth of work into 4) is chock-full of meetings after school, before school, and in between. I am missing 1.5 days worth of work for in-services which will, hopefully, make me a better teacher.

While at the school, I went and made copies for the week, and ran into our Dean of Students/Athletic Director (in a small high school, no one person does one job). Puzzled to run into one another, I greeted him with a "Good morning-er, I mean, good afternoon, haha!" He smiled and laughed back saying "What are you doing here- you drove all the way here (5 blocks, mind you) to work today?! Are you nuts??" I smiled back saying "Well, yes, I'm missing some school this week so I'm trying to get ahead of the game." His reply, "Good for you!" Well that all sounds wonderful, and yes I do feel much more prepared, I'm still spinning with the thought of this crazy work week.

As I was finishing up in my office, "I Was Here" by Lady Antebellum came on and made me just sit back and reflect.

Today, and this weekend, has made me really reflect upon my teaching career thus far. I'm proud to say I've taught in 2 wonderful school districts, and had 2 amazing jobs with great students and FFA members in both areas of the state of Illinois. I have one former student applying for her American Degree, and I've been helping her complete here book this year, and her application. I have one former student from my current high school also applying, and I'm going to be helping him as well. The first student, I taught for 2 years at my previous job. She was a very hard working student and reminded me a lot of myself in high school. She was honored with a scholarship at my collegiate Alma Mater, the University of Illinois, this fall, and invited me to the reception. I attended not thinking much of it, but was honored to attend with her and her parents. While at the reception, she was called forward and her brief bio was read. At the end, the reader called my name saying "I think her special guest, Miss Kathy Novotney, is in attendance. Would you please stand?" Blushing, I stood to hear one of the kindest compliments I've ever received. "Miss Novotney was her agriculture teacher while she was in high school. She, as well as most agriculture teachers, had a profound impact on her students. (Student's name) said that Miss Novotney was no different, and that she wished to thank her for all her hard work to get her here today. Miss Novotney is a former scholarship winner and grad from the University of Illinois. Thank you!"

I sat grinning, and admittedly, with a few tears in my eyes, as I heard a round of applause. How, after two years, had I had a "profound impact" on anyone? I felt truly blessed to hear such kind words spoken of my actions. As we parted that evening, the student and her parents thanked me again, for what seemed like the hundredth time, for all my work.

I felt truly honored. This was, and still is, my career goal: "To know that one has breathed easier because I have lived is to have succeeded."- Emerson

I have met that goal, but I will continue to do all I can so that I may leave my mark on the world, saying "Kathy Was Here."

You will notice me
I'll be leaving my mark like initials carved
In an old oak tree, you wait and see

Maybe I'll write like Twain wrote
Maybe I'll paint like Van Gogh
Cure the common cold, I don't know
But I'm ready start 'cause I know in my heart

I wanna do something that matters, say something different
Something that sets the whole world on its ear
I wanna do something better with the time I've been given
I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life
Leave nothing less than something that says "I was here"

-Lady Antebellum




No comments:

Post a Comment